Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A time of transition for CBC Radio Noon

With the retirement last Friday of long-time host Anne Budgell, what’s next for Radio Noon?

I put this question to Janice Stein, managing editor for news at CBC, who explained that the position will be filled through a competitive process, with a national posting that is open to all CBC employees.

In the meantime, we will be hearing a game of on-air musical chairs with the hosting duties rotating among a series of local personalities. For the next three weeks, John Furlong (host of Fisheries Broadcast) will be acting host of Radio Noon, followed for three weeks by Ramona Dearing (reporter and host) and three weeks later by Ingrid Fraser (producer of On The Go).

This will not be a ‘play-off’ for the position. At this time, there is no indication that any of the stand-ins are actually interested in applying for the position (although I would be happy with any of the above; all three are fabulous).

The recruitment and selection process will continue through the summer, with the intent of having a new host in place by fall of this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Furlong is the host of the Fisheries Broadcast, not John Murphy as indicated in your blog. I think Mr. Furlong is a brilliant host and he would get my vote to be the new host of Radio Noon.

Geoff Meeker said...

Wow! I can't believe I did that! I do know the difference (John Murphy retired a couple of years ago) and I agree that Furlong is an excellent host. I love his wry sense of humour. Thanks for the correction.